Australian Coloured Pencils Network

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Changing Styles


We all draw in a particular way which is often referred to as our "style". It's great to occasionally break free and try something new. This can often change the way we see things.
During the 90s I changed from laying pencil strokes down side by side, to a more Expressionist approach which saw strong lines and vibrant colours appear. From that experience my work changed (again) resulting in work that was crisper and more hard-edged. This technique works well for my Christian symbolist/landscape subjects but it hasn't been what I wanted for my Tasmanian landscapes, hence I've used stronger strokes and a much freer approach over the past few weeks.
The example I have included is from the Liffey River Valley, a wonderful area of rainforest just 55klms from my home. There is an excellent walking there. You must visit the area when you come to Tasmania!
Richard

3 comments:

Belinda Lindhardt said...

Richard,
Your technique sounds really interesting. Can you give more explanation of what you mean to a "Expressionist" approach ? What are you actually doing in terms of laying the colour down ?

Richard Klekociuk said...

Thanks for your comments and question Belinda. For this drawing I have used strong, quick and at times quite 'free' strokes to make the subject look more dynamic. This technique lets me put more visual energy into what I'm drawing(as well as some physical energy too!). It's best done standing up to an easel and taking the time to step back and check your progress. There is a lot of side-by-side laying down of colour but I do blend by laying colours over one another without the aid of a blender in most situations.
There is some "tidying up" towards the end but as long as it doesn't dampen the freedom of the pencil strokes it can enhance the drawing.
Richard

Belinda Lindhardt said...

Wow Richard this sounds great. i think i am going to have to give this a go !!! :)